I've been studying mathematics and physics for almost 7 years. In Germany the average study duration until you get the diploma (more or less equivalent to the Master) is 6.5 years - but then, the German diploma in mathematics is one of the most valuable degrees (I know someone who made a mathematics Master in Japan and now tries to get the German diploma). It's hard to explain why I need so long to get my degree, but I guess in most parts it's that the education here seems to be optimized (not intentionally I hope) for minimizing motivation and maximizing incentives for procrastination. I seem to be rather susceptible to these problems, because I see mathematics as universal tool rather than as end in itself (I guess the latter view helps a lot to become very good in mathematics). Initially, I wasn't sure what to study. I considered studying philosophy, but then I started disliking the unclear thinking styles that are found in abundance in philosophy. So, I've chosen mathematics, because it's what I like to call "hardcore philosophy" (nothing is more "no nonsense" than mathematics).
Anyway, I've been pretty unsure what to do after I would get my degree. Here are my preferred job options in chronological order:
1. Computer game programmer.
2. Continue studying philosophy and psychology.
3. Science fiction author.
6. Life Coach.
7. Business/management consultant.
The last option now looks like a relatively good idea, because I would get a lot of money and experience which I could use for creating my own business (or charity) or changing to another interesting job. And there's perhaps the chance to change something to the better in different companies from a utilitarian perspective.
Over the last year I've dived into self-help / personal development / productivity / positive psychology literature to increase my energy/motivation/productivity/effectiveness/happiness. My experiments with time management and what I call "life gamification" were rather successful, unfortunately only until I started my own personal development blog http://BecomeUnrestricted.com a few months ago. Since that time my personal productivity scores have fallen linearly, which is something that's rather disconcerting. It takes an awful lot of time to find something that really helps.
Why am I writing that? I guess it's because I feel and think that living a utilitarian (or generally rational) lifestyle is rather demanding. You really need to make the best out of yourself to change the world effectively - and that's really not easy! Most of my ambitious projects have failed due to a lack of personal productivity.
Ok, now some general information about myself:
* I'm a moral anti-realist (without specified sub-type).
* I'm 99.9% utilitarian, because utilitarianism makes most sense and is conceptually simple and natural. And I want to live my life in some meaningful way, so being a utilitarian is also a pragmatic decision. The other 0.1% are mostly something like "I just want to live an exciting life".
* I would call my own version of utilitarianism Value Qualia Utilitarianism (based on subjective experiences which have emotional valence).
* I'm a vegan and recently had the idea to call myself animal hedonist instead of animal rights advocate, because that avoids the metaphysical/conceptual complications that come with the idea of "rights". I hope the idea that I prefer all animals to be as happy as possible is easy to understand.
* I'm a Singularitarian (flavor: cybernetic intelligence explosion) and want to facilitate the creation of a post-Singularity utopia in which all sentient beings have wonderful lives.
* I'm a modal realist (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modal_realism )
* On my homepage http://Radivis.com you can find some first drafts of science fiction stories I'm working on.
* Once I had a fancy spiritual experience which made me so happy that I thought I would die from happiness overload! Obviously that hasn't happened. But it increased my interest in philosophy.
Oh, and I'm really happy to have found this place. It's like something that's too good to be true, but is true nevertheless.